CCBC - Catonsville Cafeteria Exploring Healthier Options

Deontay Mayfield

Many students on the CCBC Catonsville campus want to start or maintain a healthy diet but they often complain the lunch menu can make it difficult to proceed with this goal.

All the hours spent in a lecture, studying, or in the library have the potential to make an individual very hungry. The café is an essential place for the students but many have disclosed their unpleasant viewpoints about the food choices.

“The café does not have a lot of healthy choices. They mostly sell burgers, pizza, hot dogs, chicken tenders, and fries. I wish there was more of a variety of salads and fruits, so that it would be easier to maintain my diet,” Ashley Williams, CCBC Catonsville Student, said.

Students are growing frustrated because each of them has their own eating preferences, but it is harder for students that want to eat healthy. Many students have complained about keeping up with their diets because the fatty foods can be addicting.

CCBC Catonsville has been making strides towards a healthier lunch menu. Last year, CCBC introduced the CCBC Deli, which makes fresh bread every day and they serve salads and Paninis. Also, the “Simply to Go” convenient meal solutions program serves sandwiches and a variety of salads.

“We try our best to accommodate all of our students’ eating habits. Our biggest goal is to make sure that everyone is comfortable and as healthy as possible,” Soudabeh Abbasi, Operations Dean, said.

Video by Mass Communication student, Noah Sopher

CCBC Catonsville’s staff is currently putting forth the effort to adjust the lunch menu, so that it can be as healthy as possible. These recent changes have made students proud, because they are happy to know that the CCBC staff is acknowledging their requests and desires.

“I really do appreciate the fact that our voices are being heard. The staff is doing whatever they can do to meet our needs,” James Mitchell, CCBC Catonsville Student, said.

Having a healthy diet is important when it comes to personal health and even education. The lunch menu plays a big role in this because many students attend school for the majority of the day.

CCBC Catonsville’s staff will continue to take the necessary steps to make the lunch menu as healthy as possible. Most recently, staff members have been doing research on specific foods that are good for you and will accommodate the students’ taste buds.

The process will not happen overnight, but it will be very important in the future. The students are going to benefit from the upcoming changes that are in the making. According to many CCBC students, a healthy lunch menu is needed to make the overall lunch better and that’s what CCBC is aiming towards.

14 comments

1. Destini 17 April, 2018 at 13:57 Reply

I think it’s wonderful that CCBC is making more of an effort to accommodate everyone’s nutritional needs and wants… now if only they can lower some of their prices.

2. Adrienne Smith 30 April, 2018 at 16:34 Reply

I love the fact that they are looking to improve the menu options for CCBC Catonsville. I think the whole cafeteria would benefit from a whole renovation. The campus cafeteria seems a little outdated compared to other buildings on campus and often times a ghost zone. The current atmosphere isn’t very inviting or cozy. I often time walk right by grab something from the vending machine and head over to the area around the Einstein Bros. Bagels. If the campus would put a little money into the cafeteria it could be a great spot for students to study, network and enjoy a great nutritious meal. Maybe outsource a Subway like CCBC Essex, and make the fresh salads, and fruit affordable.

3. Danica 12 July, 2018 at 12:36 Reply

Noah,
    Great job on the video! The dramatic intro music is funny, helping to capture the audience. The video adds an entertainment factor to the article while pulling important details to the forefront. Your narrating of the video gives the audience a more personal touch since you’re a current student and more importantly, we can see who’s behind the voice.

4. Kyle Press 13 July, 2018 at 10:32 Reply

I think it is great that the school is making strides to offer more healthier options, but I think it shouldn’t be the schools responsibility to make sure a student sticks to their diet. It is the responsibility of the person to make sure they themselves are eating right.

5. vanessa carrington 13 July, 2018 at 21:32 Reply

Noah I love the vlog! Thanks for informing me and entertaining me. The outro song was great!

This is a huge issue in a lot of places and I’ve been trying to get the same thing at my job. I also hate that just because something is healthy, it needs to cost so much more than the regular food. I hope things get better with that and this seems like a start

6. Carlos iMedrano Araujo 13 July, 2018 at 21:59 Reply

It is very important to have a diet balance and avoid the fatty foods and sweet snacks, Cantonsville Cafeteria is taking a great step to help students to obtain energies necessary and maintain and healthy and balance diet. Noah Sopher captures audience and invites with the video to explore and give a chance to healthy option foods, way to go Noah.

7. Joseph Breganza 14 July, 2018 at 12:26 Reply

Noah,
    Amazing job on the video. Your comedic and entertaining characteristics really helps bring in the audience. The narration was great and providing your personal experience gives a great touch. It is great that the school is improving their options to a more healthier alternative!

8. Bria Harrison 14 July, 2018 at 20:34 Reply

Great job Noah! I completely agree with you and your video was amazing! It is very important for the school to help support their students’ healthy life styles, whether it be for a diet or a complete lifestyle change. More filling options should be available for the students and maybe even educational brochures to make sure students are incorporating all the needed nutrition into their diets.

9. Sierra Rosebrough 16 July, 2018 at 10:28 Reply

I always use to bring my own lunch to campus because I did not agree with the food choices that campus gave , pizza or chicken . I am happy to know that things will be changing with healthier options.

10. aarron 16 July, 2018 at 11:47 Reply

I think it is wonderful the school is making it their business to try and help students with their diet. The person should know what they can and can not eat but it is hard when you are really hungry and all you are surrounded by is bad food. So, I find it great they are opening up more options in the cafeteria.

11. Niya F. 9 November, 2018 at 09:06 Reply

This will be a great change for students to enjoy different meals, menus should include healthy choices. Hopefully this is what the students want.

12. Monalisa Lawson 13 November, 2018 at 11:10 Reply

I think that making these changes are definitely a necessity. In order for your body and mind to function at its best, the food that you eat needs to be nutritious. With there being such a vast and diverse student body, having multiple eating options seems very fair. I am personally glad the school has made these choices since I eat from the cafeteria every day that I have class. I can chose whether or not I want salad or fruit and that helps me to make attempts to eat healthier.

13. Jia Hao Deng 13 December, 2018 at 11:45 Reply

I think this is a great opportunity to help control your nutrition and balance it out! To try out more of a different type of food and food combos~~~