Alumni Spotlight

Tyneisha Lewis '21

Degree(s)/Certificate(s): AA, General Studies

Current profession/pursuit: Freelance Writer/Journalist

What do you love most about your profession? What I love most about my chosen profession is writing articles and getting to know the people I interview, along with their stories. I also enjoy the flexibility and opportunity to write about various topics, events, and subjects. It's wonderful to have the chance to learn something new and become an even better writer.

Who influenced you most during your time at CCBC? A variety of people influenced my time at CCBC. My family, Journalism Professor Jeremy Caplan, CCBC's Writing Center, Academic Advisor Cathy Stogel, CCBC Library staff, and many others. They gave me the inspiration, encouragement, and knowledge I needed. I wouldn't be where I am today without them.

How did your education at CCBC prepare you for what you are doing today? Having a General Studies major allowed me the flexibility to take classes that interested me. Because of that, I took Journalism and Screenwriting classes. I'm so glad that I did! These classes sparked my love of writing and interest in learning other types of writing. I also had the chance to write for the CCBC Connection, CCBC's online newspaper. Writing for the online newspaper prepared me for writing articles and getting to know the people I interview.

What advice would you give current students or recent grads interested in pursuing a career in your professional field? My advice would be to make the most of your time at CCBC. CCBC has so many classes, majors, and degrees. If possible, take the classes that seem interesting to you. I would have never gotten into writing if I hadn't taken a chance and tried out journalism classes! I would also get as much writing experience as possible.