Field Trip to Newseum Teaches History and Ethics

Kyshe’ Parker

On Thursday, October 25th, the Communication Arts Department at The Essex Campus hosted a free field trip to the Newseum in Washington, D.C.

At around 9:30 am, about 30 students and a few guests, boarded a coach bus with three instructors from the School of Liberal Arts who each had students from their respective classes in attendance. There were also guests invited by students who were allowed to accompany them on the trip.

Following a nearly 2-hour ride, the bus stopped at 555 Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. and students were able to enter the Newseum where they were informed that there were around 2,000 students from multiple schools attending that day.

CCBC students and guests could roam the Newseum’s 6 floors freely until 12:15 PM at which time they were to attend a media ethics discussion in one of the Newseum’s theaters.

The Newseum’s 6 floors had several galleries and theaters that featured phots, tributes, and real artifacts associated with major occurrences in history.

The Newseum celebrates and brings awareness to The First Amendment. Some exhibits featured at the Newseum included the 9/11 Gallery, The Berlin Wall Gallery, and The Civil Rights at 50 Years Gallery.

At 12:15, CCBC students and guests reconnected at one of the Newseum’s theaters for a media ethics discussion where they were able to interact with a Newseum instructor and ask questions about ethics in journalism.

Students were challenge and learned to differentiate personal ethics from work ethics. They were also able to discuss what falls under the “freedom of the press” portion of the First Amendment.

Several students actively participated in the discussion, and many said that they enjoyed this portion of the field trip. Regarding the discussion, CCBC Student, Emiley Crabb said, “I did enjoy it. It was kind of as if we were in class again. I suppose I took from it that ethics is a personal thing, and not everyone is going to have the same opinion.”

Regarding her experience during the discussion, another CCBC student who wished to remain anonymous said, “The instructor’s delivery was so organic, and it didn’t feel as if we were being taught. I left the discussion wanting to explore more about ethics and cases where you would have to make tough decisions in journalism.”

After the discussion, students and guests had time to explore the Newseum or eat lunch in the café in the 2 hours left before their departure.

On her Newseum experience overall, CCBC Guest, Rita Pulley said, “The trip was wonderful and insightful. I have never been to a more engaging museum, and I can’t wait to come back.”

At 3:30 PM the field trip concluded, and students and guests boarded the bus to depart from D.C. to return to Essex where everyone parted ways seemingly satisfied with the educational experience that was the Newseum Field Trip.

2 comments

1. Eric Cox 17 March, 2019 at 22:12 Reply

I remember visiting the Newseum when I was a 9th grade freshman at Western Tech. It was one of the few field trips we had in my four years their, but one of the most memorable. I remember entering and seeing timeline of news events across the walls with newspaper companies headlines of varying leads, drawing the audience in. I fondest memory would be when me and my friends were able to create our own news broadcast with use of a studio camera and greenscreen. I recently heard of John Hopkins acquisition of the building and hope that keep the building as is, so that others may share my experiences.

2. Kuiara Jackson 12 May, 2019 at 18:56 Reply

I’ve never heard of the newseum. I think that would be a great place to go to. Since I have gotten older I am trying to get in touch with my history side and make sure I know what is going on around me. I think CCBC should go on more eventful field trips like this or maybe I am just hearing about this? But this is great!!