CCBC STUDENT WRITES AND PUBLISHES HIS FIRST BOOK

Nelson E. Brown

Student Contributor

I’m not the normal 20 year-old. I have landed a position at the Maryland Department of the Environment at only 17 years old. I have expanded a writing and self-publishing business and attend school here at CCBC-Catonsville all while completing training as a Small Groups Facilitator with a team of ministers. Most importantly, I have written, self-published, and released a full-length book entitled, The Beauty in Us: Our Reality,” the first book in a future book series.

We live in a world where people have a tendency to believe that IMAGE IS EVERYTHING. The first book in this book series that has been written is about a young man of color who is using gender, age, and nationality to discuss personal struggles with colorism, self-image, and self-acceptance.

We always discuss controversial topics regarding body image and acceptance, but often it is heard from a female’s point of view. Do you hear any males speaking out about their struggles with their body image and self-esteem? I’ve been embarking on a journey to help boys, girls, men, and women around the world discover who they are and how beautiful they are.

In this book, I’m able to give myself permission to be vulnerable and even emotionally honest about how I feel. I’m speaking on behalf of all the men and young boys in communities around the world who are afraid to. I’m also willing to show women and young girls how males carry their insecurities with them every day and how they suppress them in the public eye.

As I continue to grow, I will continue to pursue a career in environmental science at the Maryland Department of the Environment, but I am now pursuing a career in ministry, counseling, and philanthropy. I want to promote the positive aspects of topics related to colorism, beauty, body image, and self-acceptance to children, teens, and young adults through my books and artwork.

Although female beauty standards are made very clear and expressed through all types of media and even though society addresses those standards publicly; we don't typically address the male perception on the beauty standards males are put up against. Males don't typically talk about weaknesses or problems they face because they see it as a sign of weakness. My weight-loss story from high school and experience with these controversial topics are spoken from a male’s perspective instead of a female’s perspective.

This book series entitled, The Beauty in Us,” is for children, teens, and young adults. The first event I’m hosting for my brand and business that’s sponsored by the Project Spark Success Team is entitled,The Beauty in Us Panel.” The event gives the participants insight on how to navigate their way through the world of business with a diverse and inclusive group of people in the field of arts and entertainment.

To obtain a copy of the book or contact the author see information below:

brownnelsone@gmail.com

Instagram-@Nelson.E.Brown

Twitter-@Nelson.E.Brown

Linkedin-Nelson Brown

Facebook-Nelson Brown

3 comments

1. Jordan Johnson 10 May, 2019 at 10:35 Reply

I think this is really interesting. It is amazing to see the talent that we have here at CCBC. The fact that he was able to write a book while working a full time job and in college is amazing in itself. I also just admire the perception that he has on life in general .

2. Eric Cox 10 May, 2019 at 10:44 Reply

Getting his book published is outstanding at such a young age. The topic of the book, how it discusses, boys and men’s insecurities is area not often seen today. As the article stated, men carry themselves daily, while suppressing their trauma and emotions to point where there’s seemingly no outlet. In recent memory I can’t think of one media format, online, radio, television, movies, or social media, where male self-acceptance and conscious is openly discussed. This book is certainly innovative and I believe it caters to a market often overlooked.

3. Lucy Ren 13 May, 2019 at 01:27 Reply

This is so cool that someone could make a huge impact at such a young age. Not only is he working at the amazing Department of Environment since 17, he published a book that touches on a lot of sensitive topics that we young people deal with nowadays. It’s amazing to see him advocate for boys’ feelings on touchy subjects because they usually do not speak up about it. He will go very far in life, best of luck!L