With so much downtime now a days and practicing safe social distancing reading for many of us has become a reoccurring reminiscent hobby. I learned how to use the overdrive app during quarantine since the library was closed. I feel like not many people know about the overdrive app and I would like to share with you guys how the app works.

For easier and better access to reading books I would recommend this method being used on a smartphone/tablet. I’ve also used something like overdrive on my laptop, but you have to use a website called Libby and it’s a little more complicated, but not hard to get.

First things first, do you have a library card? This is the most essential question because in order for the overdrive app to work you need to have a library card number. If you do not have a library card and you wish to create one please visit this link; https://www.bcpl.info/services/get-a-library-card.html# .

So now that you have your library card number you must download the Overdrive app. You can locate it in your app store (it’s freeeeee).

Once downloaded, you’re going to want to hit the menu icon and click on account. This is the part where you take out your library card to look at your number or check your email if you got one virtually. You put your number and click your branch. So obviously if you live in Baltimore county you are going to pick the branch closes to you, like Parkville, white marsh, Perry Hall, etc.

Now that you’re signed in the possibilities are endless for your reading adventures. By hitting the same menu icon you’ll click on “Baltimore County Public Library” where you can search specific titles, by category, and even change the language! You can check out 10 books at a time and if the title your looking for isn’t available right now you can place a hold. If the library doesn’t own the book you’re looking for you can suggest to the branch so they can think about purchasing.

I just thought I would give yall a light overview of how to use overdrive, I heard there’s a covid surge coming or something. I’m not sure what it means, I doubt it’ll be anything like early lockdown, but who knows honestly. It’s a paperless way to use the library and you can avoid germs. It’s a nice modern way to feed your brain some knowledge.