Traditional Planners Still Help With Student Success

Raechel Beckett

It’s 2:30 pm on a Friday afternoon, and class is almost over. Your professor is finishing up his lecture and reminding you of what will happen next week and what you need to complete before next class. Skip forward to Sunday evening and you are trying to remember what was mentioned in class. Was it chapter 4 or chapter 7 that needed to be read?

This sounds all too familiar for many students that are in college. Students seem to forget to buy a planner when the semester begins, which causes some problems as the year continues. Even in this highly digital age, traditional daily planners continue to be an important tool for many students.

Infographic by MCOM student, Emily Woodruff.

Rashad Taylor who is a Sophomore at CCBC Ownings Mills said, “College courses don’t require a lot (of the same type) of work like High School. All you have to do is look online and see what assignments need to be done.” Mr. Taylor’s statement is accurate as students’ assignments, lectures, and grades are all located on Blackboard. However, that does not mean Professors will always upload everything on time, and what happens if someone does not have easy access to a computer? This is when a planner comes into play.

“I use my planner for everything, not only for school but work, personal, and future plans. There is always something going on and I cannot function without having everything written down and planned,” said Gabriel Tucker a student at CCBC. Ms. Tucker is a full believer in the planner. She uses it daily to make sure she is up to date on her day to day life and to make time for self-care which is extremely important in today’s world.

Some students state that they start the year off with a planner but by midterms they stop using it and then end up considering it a waste of money. Others state that they don't like store bought planners because if they skip days then they have gaps in their pages which makes them not want to use them. These concerns can be fixed with some creativity.

Days that students do not have class can be filled with poems, thoughts, or future plans like 5-year goals or Summer plans. Other blank pages can also be rearranged to the student's liking for example a page for budgeting, a list for wants and needs, or even a list for “To-do’s.”

Megan Trish a Sophomore at CCBC Essex believes she has come up with a solution to the problems that many students seem to have with planners; Bullet Journaling. “It’s so fun to make, and I enjoy creating my own layouts!”

A Bullet Journal is a self- made planner that caters to the user’s needs. It has proven to be much more useful than a common planner and while creating your monthly and weekly spreads it helps reduce stress which is similar to adult coloring books.

Two weeks have passed, its Sunday evening again. Sitting at the computer desk with a blank journal turned to a clean, crisp page. A pen glides across it, making shapes and letters. Soon it is switched out with a vibrate colored marker, and within minutes a personalized weekly spread is created. There is a sigh of relive and a sense of calm. Knowing that this upcoming week will be properly planned and handled like a young adult all thanks to a planner.

(Video by MCOM student, Michaela O'May

6 comments

1. Tyneisha Lewis 2 April, 2020 at 14:17 Reply

Hello!

I really enjoyed reading your article. I currently use a planner to help keep me on track. I have a lot to keep track of: student club meetings, writing center appointments, assignments dates, etc. So, it’s a super handy thing to have and diy too.

I look forward to more of your articles and please feel free to check out my works on The Connection as well!

2. Dev 1 August, 2020 at 22:35 Reply

Yes, planners are a great tool! I have a agenda that I use daily. I write down the things I need to accomplish that day for school. Also, before I go to bed every night, I write 3 personal goals and work goals for the next day on my white board.

3. Stephanie 2 August, 2020 at 10:22 Reply

I have really bad ADHD and have been trying for years to start using planners, I always start out strong but lose my way through the semester. Recently started Bullet journaling, I’m feeling really hopeful that this will help me stay on track not only through school but in my personal life as well.

4. Ruchama Gross 12 December, 2020 at 18:38 Reply

I completely agree that old fashion planners are the way to go! And who doesn’t love picking a pretty one out at Marshalls! Its still the best way to stay organized especially when you’re juggling a lot like school and a job.

5. Misa 13 December, 2020 at 23:59 Reply

I am actually extremely bad at organization and planning so this article is very helpful to me. I am also a really bad procrastinator, and I feel like writing the dates down for assignments would set mental notes in my mind that an assignment is due soon. I took only online classes this semester so I was even more out of focus than usual, and I wish I read this article before the semester. I managed to get good grades but this would have definitely helped and relieved my stress levels.