Welcome back!

I hope you had a restful break or a few days to catch up on schoolwork. I spent mine studying for a lab practical. However, I did get to enjoy the actual thanksgiving day. Do you celebrate thanksgiving?

A confession – to be completely honest, I don’t get thanksgiving. Maybe it’s because I’m not American and so it’s not a holiday that I am used to celebrating but I just don’t get it – every year you eat the same food with the same people, doing the same thing and telling the same three stories over and over again. So this year, to make it a little more exciting, my family and I decided to be responsible and safe and not go to anyone’s house and have a thanksgiving dinner of our own where we blended an American holiday with Kenyan food. Instead of the traditional turkey and stuffing, we had biryani rice, tandoori chicken, sukuma wiki, samosas, and kachumbari.

I will say that this year’s celebration gave me a perspective on what the thanksgiving holiday is about. It’s about spending time with family and friends and getting to reflect on all that you have to be thankful for.

I hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving holiday and break. See you next week!