Last winter, I visited the Baltimore Museum of Art, below are some of the artists whose pieces or message resonated with me. All these artist choose to make their work about something important. From Yao Lu who is concerned with the rapid industrialization of the country he loves to Bien-U who uses the natural landscapes to tell his story and Moriyama who uses prints and photography to express whatever injustice he discovers.

Listed below are some artists that I took an interest in:

Daido Moriyama

A Japanese photographer born on October 10, 1938 in Osaka, Japan. He began his career as a freelance photographer in 1964 and had his first solo exhibition in 1970 called “scandal.” Throughout the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s he would go on to have multiple group and solo exhibitions all around the world as well as publish his own works.

Moriyama has been gifted with many different awards for his work with photography.

I really enjoy photography, it is one of my favorite ways of expressing and creating art. Looking at Daido Moriyama’s work and all that he has achieved as well as how he chooses to express himself by using stark contrasts in his messages, puts him up there as one of my new favorites.

https://www.moriyamadaido.com/en/

Yao Lu

A Chinese painter, born 1967 in Beijing, China. He also has a variety of exhibitions both solo and group.

The image that he is famous for and that I saw was the beautifully done landscape of a mountain and its surrounding area. On closer look, the mountain was actually a garbage patch so huge that from a distance it looked like a natural part of the world.

http://photographyofchina.com/blog/yao-lu

Bae Bien-U

A South Korean photographer, currently a professor at the Seoul Institute of the Arts was born in 1950. He began his photography journey in university first in South Korea and then in Germany. Bien-U has participated in multiple solo and group exhibitions with celebrities, museums, and former Presidents owning pieces by him.

When I first saw the work of Bae Bien-U I immediately wrote down his name so that I could continue to look into his work. I remember so clearly staring at his work and it felt like I had been transported to another part of the world as if I was staring at the landscape at the same time that he was taking his pictures.

Home