It’s officially well into October and in my mind that means it is time for Christmas. No it is not too early.

This past Thursday, I was helping to advertise the transfer fair – side note: Transfer Fair coming up this Monday October 14th in the ROMA building from 11 am to 2 pm – and it finally felt like the weather was cooling down and it got me excited about the upcoming holidays.

I love everything about this time of the year. It’s not too cold yet but it’s no longer disgustingly hot outside. It’s colorful and happy, it’s Christmas. As a little girl, my family wasn’t into decorating Christmas trees and Santa Claus which is funny considering how much I love this season. We never did the gifts or vacations, it was always just church and that’s it. Congratulations you survived to see anther new year.

When I first came to the States, my sister and I began a series of new traditions. For the past five years we – my family and friends – have had the tradition where we all pack up, rent a cabin and enjoy the Christmas weekend together. The location and duration changes every year but the format remains the same – Christmas movies, way too much Kenyan food, much too loud music and plenty of board games. We also exchange gifts during the elephant game.

This year, people are busy. My sister is working so there will be no trip, however, I’ve been thinking about what the spirit of Christmas really is and it really makes me appreciate all the time we have already spent together and makes me realize that you don’t need a fancy and over the top party or vacation to just enjoy your break with those around you.

I know that the winter lovers are living their best life in this changing weather. For all the summer lovers, it’s okay, you can do it, I believe in you. I hope that you look forward to spending time with those you love or by yourself, relaxing and taking the time to reflect on the past year and looking forward to the new one.

I have a lot to be grateful for this year and a lot to be stressed about too. However, I will focus on the good and thank God for all He has given to me. Do you have any Christmas traditions that you share with your family or friends?