Happy women’s history month. Today as I scrolled through my social media, I read a post highlighting ‘Powerful Women You Probably Didn’t Learn About in School’ and I wanted to share some of it because I hadn’t heard about most of these special women.

Queen Lili’uokalani

First sovereign queen and last monarch of Hawaii. After she was overthrown, she spent the rest of her life trying to preserve Hawaiian rights and traditions. She established a bank for women and a fund for young girls and orphans.

Yuri Kochiyama

An Asian-American political activist. After spending two years in Japanese concentration camps, she became involved in movements for civil and human rights. She is the founder of ‘Asian Americans for Action.’

Lorena Borjas

A transgender and community activist. She spent her life working to keep transgender women and immigrants out of trafficking and abusive situations. Known as ‘the mother of the trans Latino community,’ she worked to organize HIV testing for sex workers.

Madonna Thunder Hawk

Native American civil rights activist, speaker, and community organizer. A leader in the American Indian Movement (AIM), she has worked and dedicated her life to Native resistance.

“Women don’t need to find a voice, they have a voice, and they need to feel empowered to use it, and people need to be encouraged to listen.” – Meghan Markle.

Special shoutout to my fellow CCBC bloggers who are incredible women. Make sure to jump over to their pages and read all they have to share.