Another great event at CCBC last week and this time it’s about mental health. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NOMI) and the JED Foundation are partnering with high schools and colleges to strengthen their mental health. They are encouraging community awareness, understanding and action for young adult mental health. NOMI reached out to our college to promote students’ mental health. Our Success Navigators at CCBC hosted this event last week to promote the # I Will Listen Campaign. It encourages people to talk about mental health and listen when someone talks about their mental health. For the longest time there was and still a stigma about mental health, so this initiative will help to reduce and hopefully erase this stigma.

Students were encouraged to sign a pledge to listen. On the pledge, they gave the reason why they will listen. Then they were given a cool navy shirt with the words # I Will Listen as well as a bracelet with the same words. The Success Navigators will display these pledges on the wall near the Career Center on the Essex Campus, so stop by to check them out.

I signed the pledge and I will listen because I care and I will do anything to save lives

Students and staff had the chance to participate in a yoga class. We can’t talk about mental health without mentioning Yoga. It has great benefits for you nervous system, immune system, raspatory system, joints, and bones. No wonder I have been practicing yoga for the past three years. The first time I tried it, I fell in love and kept coming back for more. You should give it a try- I promise you will love it as much as I do.

This event is so special to me because mental health is what I have been learning and educating myself on for the past four years. Next spring I will be graduating with my A.A.S in Behavioral Health Counseling. Seeing the promotion of mental health on campus was empowering to me since my future career is going to be all about mental health and counseling.

Student’s mental health is so important to CCBC, and that’s why there are resources to improve students’ mental health they can access online.  Togetherall is one of these resources. It’s a safe, online community to share feelings anonymously and get support to improve mental health and wellbeing.  In the community people support each other, safely monitored by licensed and registered mental health practitioners.

If you need help with mental health, click here

Until next time, stay healthy and take care of your mental health my friends

Rama