I guess the first thing that comes to mind right now is– how exactly did we get here? This new year was the most hopeful, for me at least. It was the start of a new decade and I was excited to see how my life would turn out. So far, it has felt… well-how do I say this-not as great. It has not been the complete worst for me because I did become a semi for the JKC so I feel like an ingrate for complaining. However, the coronavirus keeps getting serious and now, is affecting my life which I am not happy about.

I was in Nigeria when Ebola struck and I was sure I was going to die lol. I was in a boarding school and lived with hundreds of girls. Luckily, it was very well contained in the country and we were safe. This COVID-19 is giving me major Ebola vibes the only difference- well one of them- is it doesn’t feel as contained, maybe because it isn’t or because it is contracted very differently- I don’t know. I also think the mass hysteria just makes everything worse.

Being on social media these past weeks, I’ve seen ignorant posts where people say they aren’t concerned because the fatality rate is only high in the elderly and immunocompromised. Guess what? Those people are actually people too. I know right? Who would’ve thought? Everyone is at risk of contracting this virus and even if your immune system works like gold, you still need to practice good hygiene to help save the human race lol. I don’t mean to scare anyone, just a fair reminder to wash your hands for at least 20secs.

I was scheduled to attend a conference on Friday the 13th, so tomorrow. Unfortunately, it got postponed. I was very upset to find out but at the same time, I understood their reason for postponing. This was my biggest concern so it didn’t exactly come as a shock. That said, hearing about other Maryland Universities moving their classes online and extending spring breaks concerns me even more. 

First off, this is going to be an unpopular opinion but I hope CCBC doesn’t do all that. I want to go to class, and one week is more than enough time for my spring break. The highlight of my semester has been attending my psychobiology class and I can’t even imagine having to take it online. I also don’t want to fail because four online classes will be a lot to handle. Like I said, this is going to be an unpopular opinion but I do hope you take time to think about it. It would be a dream to stay at home but you have all summer to stay at home… just saying. It would also be nice to graduate in time but also be able to have family and friends watch me walk the stage. I hope this ends soon because it is really disrupting a lot of lives ugh.

On a final note, PLEASE stay safe. Wash your hands with soap and water. Do not depend on ANTIBACTERIAL hand sanitizers because guess what? This is a virus and they are very stubborn. Also, we all know this virus started in China, please don’t be one of the people that use it as an excuse to be racist. Yep, I said it and trust me, it’s not cute. I have friends who came to the United States when Ebola was in Nigeria and they still have minor PTSD from being bullied. Do better.

I finished typing this post and got an email about the major PTK convention going virtual. You can catch me crying all month.