A Farewell to the Mellon Undergraduate Research Fellowship

Good things in life don’t last forever. This summer went by a bit too fast, and it was not easy to let it go. The connections that were made, experiences lived, bonds nurtured, and joys entertained were unmistakably one of the most powerful moments of the college student life.

As a Mellon Undergraduate Research Fellow of the Humanities Collaboratory at the Johns Hopkins University (JHU), I was privileged to partake in humanities-based research that enabled me to overcome my fears and explore academic dimensions that are a regular part of a researcher’s day-to-day life. I was more than indebted to my mentors and fellow researchers for making this experience as meaningful as it turned out to be, and so I coordinated the group effort to surprise our mentors with parting gifts. It took more effort than I envisioned but, as always, it is the final product that matters.

The pictures above are a few from our Washington, D.C. trip to Senator Ben Cardin’s office and our last dinner at Fogo de Chao in downtown Baltimore. Finally, I also wanted to share the farewell videos of our beloved mentors.

Some things in life cannot be forgotten. This summer was one of them.

A big thank you to the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for giving us the funding and the Johns Hopkins University for opening its gates to such intensive, humanities-based research programs.

Being a CCBC scholar just took on a new meaning, and I am very proud of what my fellow researchers have accomplished. In fact, I very much look forward to the legacies they will create in the wake of their educational careers.

Johns Hopkins’ recognition for our research work this summer