HEY EVERYBODY!!

So I WAS thinking about doing a massive list of tips for finals since they’re coming up but then I decided I’m sure you all have been reading posts like that for weeks anyways in the hopes of getting a leg up on studying. Or, if you’re like me, reading them so you can feel productive without actually being productive. Instead, I’ve decided to help you all look ahead to maximizing your summer productivity and your college experience in future semesters. I’ve taken a fair amount of online classes in my time, in pretty much every semester of college I’ve had. I’ve taken great classes, terrible classes, in math, history, business, accounting, the list continues, and overall, I really appreciate that the option to take such classes exists. I wanted to pass my experience on to you, so I made this list about the pros and cons of online classes in a few relevant areas.

Pros

Topic

Cons

If you’re already satisfied with your personal development, feel free to take classes online and skip the annoyances that can come from interacting with a class full of people.

Personal Growth

If you’re young or inexperienced and take online classes, you miss a big opportunity to learn soft skills like communication, teamwork, adaptability, the list goes on.
Instead of attending a ridiculously late or early class, you can take it online.

Scheduling

No snow days, no ‘problems with the car’, none of that. Unless you’re dying, your work will always be due on the assigned date.
You could finish assignments weeks ahead of time since they are often posted all at once. You need to have a personal drive for online classes.

Motivation

You could also slack and try to finish a month of work in one night, since multiple chapters are often due on one date.

Once I had an online History professor who formatted the whole class as a fantasy game, it was awesome.

Professors

Once I had an online accounting professor who posted everything on the first day of class and then didn’t talk to us again, it sucked.
People won’t be able to discriminate based on on a physical, religious, or most any other level.

Classmates

If you thought it was hard to do group projects in a physical class, honey, you’ve got a big storm coming.
CSIT 101 I basically did in my sleep online. If you have a pre-req that you already have a good grasp on, or won’t need to master for higher level classes, take it online.

Retaining Knowledge

Honestly, I don’t remember much of anything I’ve learned in online classes. I mainly just memorized for tests and promptly forgot it afterwards.
If you’re hip to basic computer skills like Microsoft, Google Drive, and Blackboard, online classes will make it really easy to do and turn in assignments.

Technology

If you aren’t good with technology, you’ll have a lot to learn before you can begin your online class.
Online classes can end up costing less as they decrease travel and food expenses associated with physical classes.

Cost

If you don’t already have a computer/ laptop, internet access, and the necessary software programs, it’ll be an additional cost in your online education.
This might be more personal to me, but there is a certain pride you feel at studying and completing work without someone else even reminding you. It gives a feeling of independence in your studies.

Overall Enjoyment

The close relationships and funny moments you get to share with classmates and teachers can’t really exist when you don’t even see their faces.

As with any environment, you have to pick what suits you best. I take a few physical classes each semester because I like to be involved on campus, and I also take a few online because I like the convenience of them in my schedule. Just don’t be afraid to mix and match to try something new! Don’t let what looks like an ‘average’ or ‘normal’ path define YOUR college experience. Check out CCBC’s Summer Classes here!

Good luck on finals, keep fighting for a few more days!!  (•̀o•́)ง 

~Sumra