Category

Community

in Celebrations, Community, Community college, Holiday

In the Spirit of Thankfulness

I recently shared a quote with the CCBC community that I think captures the essence of Thanksgiving: “The more grateful I am, the more beauty I see.” Although political divisiveness, war, and the remnants of COVID-19 seem to have set the world around us on a collision course with disaster, I borrow this phrase to encourage us to look towards…

Continue reading
in Celebrations, Community, Holiday

Indigenous Peoples’ Day: Dignity, Honor, Respect

Indigenous Peoples’ Day serves to honor the resilience and inherent sovereignty of indigenous people in the United States. CCBC is proud to join campuses, cities, and states around the country in enriching our understanding of the historical contributions made by indigenous people who have, for centuries, been misrepresented and left out of our textbooks. Today, we recognize the native heritage…

Continue reading
in Business, Community, Community college, Faculty, higher education, Safety, Students

COVID-19: Living with our new reality

Most of us thought that the leadership challenge of deftly handling a pandemic would linger only as a bad memory, a bruising, once in a lifetime moment, something to tell our grandchildren. Fraught with institutional and domestic challenges, COVID-19 has become so much more than that; it has changed the way we live, the way we think and the way…

Continue reading
in Business, Community, Community college, Equity, Events, higher education, Partners, Programs, Students

CCBC Partners with Comcast to Bridge the Digital Divide

On Thursday, September 7th I hosted a press conference to announce the launch of a Digital Navigator Program Supported by a $150,000 grant from Comcast. This program will connect trained students – Digital Navigators – with other CCBC students and Baltimore-area residents to help them access the internet, use devices, and obtain skills to bridge the digital divide. But the…

Continue reading
in Community, Community college, Equity, Faculty, Inspiration, Jobs, Leadership, Students, Workforce Development

Supporting Our People to Support Our Students

CCBC’s secret weapon is not dollars; it is the talent, skill and commitment of our faculty and staff. With an extraordinary can-do spirit, our people sign on year after year to support the students who walk through our doors. That is how, each year, nearly 13,000 of roughly 50,000 students achieve something important to them and their families: a degree…

Continue reading
in Community, Community college, higher education, Jobs, Students, Workforce Development

A New Academic Year: “An Extraordinary Time for Transformation”

As we welcome students, faculty and staff back to our campuses, a thrill of renewal – both of purpose and engagement – fills every classroom, every office and every hallway. For a few weeks at least, we will be imbued with the joy and the energy that comes from the launch of a new academic year. As is my wont,…

Continue reading
Close