The History of CCBC Catonsville Campus

Did you know many years ago CCBC Catonsville campus used to be a dairy farm? Long ago before CCBC was ever established, this very land that CCBC was build upon was a dairy farm in the 1800’s. A man named George Worth Knapp owned the property for many years. The property remained in Knapp’s family until his death, when it was sold to the county school board in 1963.

Look familiar? This was the home of Mr. George Worth Knapp. This building is currently used for administration. This home was designed by Baltimore architect Edward L. Plamer, Jr.  in 1917. If you’ve ever visited this building, you probably noticed a eerie feeling or odd smell, well now you know why. It was build in the 1900’s! The home is not only well built but its beautiful. Inside, you will notice great details from the ceilings to the floors. This house was actually listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980!

Well, this is the most information I’ve found about the Knapp Estate. If I find more, I will post it! So, next time your own campus…..take a moment to think about the amount of history your surrounded by.

9 Responses

1. Mr WordPress Says:

This is an example of a WordPress comment, you could edit this to put information about yourself or your site so readers know where you are coming from. You can create as many comments like this one or sub-comments as you like and manage all of your content inside of WordPress.

2. Ruth Coradin Says:

I def want to know more! I heard they have great info at the Catonsville Public Library

3. jess Says:

very cool… I knew campus was historic but I didn’t know it had been a dairy farm too! Thanks for sharing!

4. Sykeem Lewis Says:

Sure!

5. Sykeem Lewis Says:

Thanks! That’s my next research project!

6. Denise Says:

Wow…You make me want to visit UMBC campus. Thanks

7. Denise Says:

Wow! I definitely want to visit UMBC campus. Thanks for the info.

8. Duy Says:

UMBC definitely looks like that! You should take a look at the new art building we have being put up :)

9. Sykeem Lewis Says:

I definitely will and thanks Duy!