Thanksgiving

Fall Harvest

Thanksgiving goes back to 1621, when the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest. This harvest was a 3 day festival, celebrating their first harvest, that included eating, hunting and other entertainment.  Many people consider this to be the first Thanksgiving. However, it wasn’t until 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, that President Abraham Lincoln declared a national Thanksgiving Day every November.

In 1621 during the autumn harvest, they ate deer instead of turkey. They also, did not have potatoes, or pumpkin pie. These things were not on the Thanksgiving menu until Sara Josepha Hale, the author of Mary had a Little Lamb, decided to reenact the Pilgrims autumn harvest. While doing so, she made recipes for mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and turkey.

From 1621 until now, I feel like Thanksgiving has always been about being with family and friends, as well as meeting knew people. It is about being thankful for what you are, and what you have. Some people will be more anxious about black Friday shopping, and not really pay close attention to there family and friends.

I think of Thanksgiving in an entire different light compared to most people. My family will attend 3-4 thanksgiving dinners within the next week. It is pretty much a routine for us, like any holiday, to travel between the different sides of our family for each occasion. When I sit at the dinner table, I pay close attention to who is at the table with me. Maybe next year, we will have new additions to our family, or we may lose someone in that close group. As I have grown up, the faces at the table have changed, but on Thanksgiving I am thankful for everyone that is present at the table.

As you and your family are celebrating Thanksgiving this year, what will you be thankful for?