You have something due tomorrow and for whatever reason, you have not yet finalized it. Maybe you haven’t even started it!
It’s late at night. You probably started to work at around 11:oo PM, but then you ended up getting distracted by Facebook messenger or decided that you had just a liiiiitttle time to do something for a club… or look on Pinterest or Tumblr or check your email… and then it was past midnight and you decided that you had could probably finish your homework in less than an hour so you wait just a little bit longer… and all of the sudden, it’s after 1:00 AM and you NEED to do your homework at this point!
What do you do? Do you… stay up later to finish it, or do you wake up early the next morning to finish it?
Pros of staying up late:
- You get to sleep in later the next morning
- You can go to sleep knowing that you have nothing to worry about the next morning
- You could stay up as late as you want, so long as you finish it– no time limits
Cons of staying up late:
- You will likely be really tired and not at your best, possibly lessening your ability to function and therefore your ability to do a good job on the homework
- You will likely feel less rested when you wake up
- You may decide that, since you are staying up late anyway, you have more “time” to procrastinate your schoolwork and therefor lessen the amount of sleep that you will get
Pros of waking up early:
- You get to go to sleep when you feel tired the previous night, and likely feel more rested
- You give yourself a time period within which you must complete your homework
- Sometimes your mind can be clearer in the morning than it can be at night
Cons of waking up early:
- The actual act of waking up early
- You will probably need at least 40 minutes to feel fully awake, if you woke up slowly and tiredly
- You might not be able to finish your schoolwork within the time period you have to complete it in the morning
- Your alarm might go off late, causing you to lose time for doing the assignment
- Something could go wrong, and now you have to rush to complete your homework
Personally, I like finishing all my homework early so that I don’t have to choose between either of these options. Procrastination is easy to glorify when everyone talks and jokes about it, so it’s best to remind oneself that just because so many people talk about procrastinating things does NOT mean that it is okay to procrastinate. Sadly, sometimes life gets in the way of other aspects of, well, life, and staying up late is something that simply HAPPENS.
What do YOU decide to do– stay up even later, or wake up early and complete your homework?