A Pirate Never Stops Caching!

Yo Ho, Yo Ho! It’s a pirates life for me.

I’m just going to lay it out there for you, man. Geocaching is a pirate’s life. It’s rough, it’s tumble, and it’s full of loot.

The cache was hidden under the log I'm sitting on. Yea, I lifted that log up like it was nothin'. I'm strong and stuff.

So what do you need to know? People like to equate geocaching to a worldwide scavenger hunt. There are caches on every continent, and everyone’s doing it. Peer pressure! Basically, a cache is a small container hidden amongst shrubberies, under bug-filled logs, and on top of mountains. Whoever hides the cache measures the lat/longitude and records the coordinates. We put coordinates in a GPS and we hunt down our bounty. It sounds simple, right?

What they won’t tell you, gentle lad or lass, is that it’s a world full of magic and mischief. There’s frolicking, Wizards, and all sorts of other fanciful goodies. Why, I once heard a story of a cacher finding the One Cache to rule them all. Then he had to, like, walk a hundred miles and take it to a lava-filled mountain. Everyone wanted the cache because it gave you special powers or something. They even made a movie about it. It was called Lord of the Rings. Yea, Frodo Baggins was actually a geocacher. You heard it here first.

With fellow cachers Hannah Consentino, Brittany Ermer, Michelle Nebinger (left to right)--My face isn't sad. That's my "I'm winning" face.

Now, you may or may not know this about me, but I’m a freakin’ pirate. I’m not Somalian or anything, but I’ve done some plundering. I’ve done some raucous rambling after a day of looting me golds and silvers. I’m a master of the open seas—well, maybe it’s better to say that I’m a master of small rivers, lakes, and ponds.

So for me, caching is a bit of an adventure. Mary Jo Garcia, GeoBoss at Dundalk, even lets me carry a foam sword around when we go out. I tromp through forests of all colors, and I stick my hands into spider-filled crevices. There’s an ongoing joke amongst the Dundalk cachers (our team name is d-webz) that I fall down a lot. I don’t fall, you see. I routinely drop to the ground so I can put my ears down and listen for any approaching bad guys. Yea, that’s it.

GeoBoss MJ Garcia on the far right. We actually had to lower me into a Cave of Despair to get this cache. Notice the headlamps!

As you can see above, when we find a cache, we take a picture of our loot to record our success. I’m not going to say we’ve fought dragons, kung fu-d ninjas, or outsmarted chess players to get these caches. I’m just saying…

Yo Ho, Yo Ho! It’s a pirate’s life for me.

We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot. Drink up me ‘earties, Yo Ho!

One Response

1. jess Says:

sounds like a lot of fun!!