CCBC Banquets

In the past 2 weeks I have gone to 2 banquets for my academic achievements at CCBC! Both of these banquets were amazing. They confirmed that all of my hard work here was worth it.

The first banquet I attended was on May 2nd at the Turf Valley Gold Resort. This banquet was to honor the 2012 members of the All-State Maryland Academic Team. I recieved this award due to my dedication to Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society and my consistently high GPA. I found out I made the team a few months prior but I never expected such a great recognition ceremony. It was a great night, however, one portion in particular really stuck with me.

The keynote speaker for the banquet really spoke to my heart. Like me, she too thought that she would never make it through all of the school work. She was overwhelmed by all of her commitments and wondered if her hard work would even pay off. The overall message of her speechn was that we shall never have a dream deferred if we keep pushing. The feeling of stress can deter a lot of people from following their heart and chasing their dreams. Whenever we are feeling like this we just need to remember that the good things in life do not come easy.

The second banquet I attended was on May 10th at the Towson Sheraton Hotel. This was the Student Awards Banquet for CCBC. What an AMAZING experience! The many tables were filled with 700 students, their families, college faculty and administrators. That night I had the priviledge of being the first student recognized by President Kurtinitis. She exitedly introduced me as the distinguished graduate. I have to say, this meant so much to me. That moment put all of my dedication to the college and my studies into perspective. I realized just then that all of my hard work and stress, was worth it.

That night, I watched many of my friends and fellow students get awards. It was great to see so many students at the college being recognized for their specialties. We truly have some great students here at CCBC. I was honored to have been in a room with so many remarkable students and staff.

My advice for those of you continuing your education here at CCBC is: GET INVOLVED! It requires more commitment but it is so worth it. Your college will recognize you, and so will your next university.