Sweet,Sour, and Bitter: The Fair Trade Truth

The SWEET:   

I love chocolate. When I was younger, I was promised I could get a whole candy bar to myself if I finished my dinner. I can see eyebrows give me the skeptical look when I said “whole” but I was usually only allowed a four pices. I know, what a travesty! A whole candy bar to myself was comparable to a longer bed time, watching a show with a PG -13 rating, or even a spontaneous sleep over from a classmate.  My parents were forward thinkers in making the candy bar last all week. All I could see was the chocolatey sweet ambrosia coming into a mouth of uber joy.  Hershey’s (dark chocolate, milk chocolate), Reese’s (peanut butter), M&M’s (peanut butter, nuts) Nestle’s, Kit Kat’s and variety of other chocolate bars were household names to me. I knew how these savory treats were sweet to me, but I never at what cost. On Tuesday October 12th, in the barn on the Catonsville campus, I learned that the familiar brand that kept my chocolate safe for eating was came from  orphaned children, cruel slave masters, unlawful child labor.

The SOUR:

No school, no parents, no friends, no money, only cocoa. Seven days a week, from dusk till dawn, young boys (between the ages of 6-13) in remote parts of the Ivory Coast (Cote D’voire),  are climbing trees with machetes, and chopping off cocoa beans.  Child workers labor for long, punishing hours,  facing frequent exposure to dangerous pesticides as they travel great distances in the grueling heat. Some have been taken from the family, others have been sold by their parents into the cocoa trade to make money that never makes it back home.  A stranger chaperones the children throughout the day. They rarely get fed, suffer frequent beatings and other cruel treatment. Cote d’Ivoire’s child laborers are robbed not only of their freedom but of the right to a basic education. In a country where more than half the population is illiterate, basic education takes on an even more critical significance for Cote d’Ivoire’s future. “I used to go to school,” said Marc Yao Kwame, who works with his brother Fabrice on a remote farm. “But my father has no-one to work on the farm, so he took me out of school.” In 2001, under pressure from the US Congress, the chocolate manufacturers promised to start eradicating forced child labour. They failed to meet an initial deadline of 2005, were given until 2008.

The BITTER

I’ve never heard of Fair Trade products until that day at the barn on the Catonsville campus. Never even knew there was a system actually called “Fair Trade” that worked in the equality of its workers and safety of young children. I think its ridiculous how all the companies that are out to promite well being, profits for under privledged countries are barely on the radar. I vaguely remember seeing Fair Trade products at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, or some other speciality market. If you shop thee and buy Fair Trade, kudos, honestly.  This Halloween, before you go out to your nearest Walmart or pharmacy for name brand candy and chocolate that has been around for years, take a second and think about what if it was your young brother or sister, son or daughter, working through their childhood all for a piece of candy. A piece of candy that doesn’t last more than 5 min, which it took at least 3-5 hours to get ready for processing.

Fair Trade means an equitable and fair partnership between global marketers and producers in Asia, Africa, Latin America and other parts of the world. A fair trade partnership works to provide low-income artisans and farmers with a living wage for their work.

Why Fair Trade?

Our consumer spending choices affect people’s lives around the world. The products we enjoy are often made in conditions that harm workers, communities and the environment. But increasingly consumers are demanding more humane, more environmentally sensitive products.

In today’s world economy, where profits rule and small-scale producers are left out of the bargaining process, farmers, craft producers, and other workers are often left without resources or hope for their future. Fair Trade helps exploited producers escape from this cycle and gives them a way to maintain their traditional lifestyles with dignity.

What Fair Trade Products are Available?

Fair Trade encompasses a range of goods, from agricultural products from the global South like coffee, chocolate, tea, and bananas, to handcrafts like clothing, household items, and decorative arts.

For more information, please visit these websites: http://www.globalexchangestore.org/Articles.asp?ID=135

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6517695.stm

or watch these INFORMATIVE VIDEOS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwHJFvvlC5U

12 Responses

1. Ruth Coradin Says:

Thank you for sharing!

After this event, I have been trying to be make right decisions and making sure we choose fair trade products…

Is it an easy thing to do for a community college student, though???

2. Dell Says:

Imani! Beautifully done! It can be grim when you first realize what is happening in terms of trade BUT once you move into how empowering it is to be a compassionate consumer you are fueled by it. AND the pay off is that Fair Trade goods are better made and better tasting!

3. May Says:

I love how you said, “chocolatey sweet ambrosia.” I can taste it in my mouth-

4. Imani Grant Says:

Lol! I love chocolate! Especially choclate cake, brownies, and ice-cream! After watching that fair trade video though, I’m willing to make a few sacrifices…

5. Imani Grant Says:

Thank-you Dell! I really appreciate it! I’m still new to this blogging thing…and it feels good to add some humor and imperative information in too.

6. Aaron Farrell Says:

Wow very fascinating sharing. Credit on behalf of this.

7. cheap juicy couture Says:

sweet site, i hadn’t noticed blog.ccbcmd.edu before in my searches!
    keep up the great work!

8. meblościanki Says:

I agree with your point of view and I feel very attracted to it.

9. Imani Grant Says:

Thank-you very much mebloscianki! I appreciate the feedback! It feels really good to write something that resonates with people.

10. Imani Grant Says:

Thank you cheap juicy couture! Keep checking in!

11. Imani Grant Says:

My blog theme…? Do you mean my background theme? CCBC ws nice enough to give it to me, or WordPress. Hope this helps,

Imani

12. This is an awesome plugin Says:

This is an awesome blog. I would like you to take a look at our product SEOPressor. SEOPressor simplifies On-Page SEO and helps Skyrocket your website into major Search Engines And is Powering 2.5mil+ WordPress Pages Now…

HTTP://WWW.SEO-PRESSOR-PLUGIN.TK…