Advocacy Day!

Hello CCBC!!

You may be asking yourselves, “Why is Gia posting her blogs at such a late time?” I would be asking myself the same question if i were you. Well, there so happens to be a valid explanation as to why this occurred. I have had quite a history with my arch enemy, the computer. We have not always seen eye-to-eye, especially when it decides to betray me after i invest a great deal of trust in it. Since this has happened to me on more than one occasion, it tends to be a tragedy in of itself.

After a brief recovery, I have decided that there is no turning back. I must move forward! Not only for myself, but for all of my readers. And by forward, I mean going back in time. Ladies and gentlemen, we are going back to Wednesday, February 9th, 2011.

7:30 a.m. and off we go! Our bus had departed and we were bound to Annapolis, Maryland. Our mission? SUPPORT=SUCCESS! Each advocate was given guidelines as to what information we should ¬†expect to be discussed when we meet with Baltimore County’s Delegation. The information that we reviewed was based upon various legislative priorities. Supporting the Cade Formula and supporting two projects on the community college capital budget list are just a few examples of the necessary key facts that we needed to encourage.

The main reason of why I had decided to attend this event was because government officials needed to hear voices of students. I know that for each and every one of you, CCBC has impacted your lives in one way or another. CCBC helps the state and local economies, leverages taxpayer dollars, and helps students earn more. On a more personal level, CCBC needed advocates asking for a supplement to complete the funding for construction of the new CCBC Owings Mills Center. We also advocated for support of the renovation of the old CCBC Catonsville Library into the College’s STEM Building.

We had arrived at State Circle, eager to begin representing CCBC. Upon entering the Maryland State House, we were greeted by several other community college representatives. It was quite empowering to be a part of such an influential event. We entered the building by having to go through high levels of security, and were welcomed by Caroline Scott. She gave us all pins and identification badges to wear throughout the day.

All 16 community colleges gathered in one of the oldest buildings, which happened to sustain the most history. The assembly consisted of several prominent speakers, all of whom gave informative, as well as motivational speeches. After the assembly has concluded, CCBC had split up into groups of Catonsville, Dundalk and Essex campuses. The purpose in doing so was to meet with all of Baltimore County Legislative District Delegates and Senators to thank them for supporting community colleges as a whole. Katherine Klausmeier and John W.E. Cluster, Jr. were just two of the many political personnel that we were acquainted with. Shortly after meeting with the Delegates and Senators, we had invited them to join us at the Governor Calvert House for lunch. This was our opportunity to engage in personal conversations regarding who we are as individuals and what our experiences have been like attending CCBC. This was an opportunity that I felt very fortunate to be a part of.

Before we knew it, the time had come to depart and head back home. Back home to CCBC! And after a long day of advocating for our school, there was a unanimous feeling that each and every one of us had felt. We were proud to have represented CCBC. We could without a doubt say, “I AM CCBC!” And that is what Advocacy Day had given us. Pride!

So, now I ask you, will you be a part of Advocacy Day next year?

Governor Calvert House

"I AM CCBC!"